Featured Post

First Impressions: Pink Parcel

21 things I've learnt in 21 years

Hello everyone,
so Monday marks my 21st birthday, which is pretty scary. I feel like just yesterday I was writing my 20th birthday post.
Because I'm really good at being emo, I thought I would write a post about 21 things I've learned in life. Honestly I will be surprised if I make it to five things let alone 21 but lets see how this goes!



  1. Embrace Individuality- for so many years I tried to fit in and meet everyone's expectations of what it is to be cool. This made me unhappier than I already was and I kept losing my identity. It's hard to be you when everyone wants you to be someone else, but at the end of the day, there's only one version of you in this ENTIRE world. So do you!
  2. Look after your skin- I sound like your mum or some guru on the TV. But, just because you might be a fortunate teen like me and live life without breakouts, your body is always changing, and since coming into my twenties I've had many acne breakdowns. Cleanse, tone and moisturise but also, take care inside too. Drink water, herbal tea, eat fruit and look after yourself.
  3. You're not as fat as you think- at school I felt like a new breed of whale. My boobs grew earlier than most, my thighs were thicker and I had the chubbiest baby face. Don't let magazines and TV shows rain on your parade. You are NORMAL and BEAUTIFUL. Be healthy and work out or eat clean if YOU want to, but do not let the world tell you how to be you!
  4. Take a break- we all need a little bit of alone time. Whether you do something like switch your phone off for the day, or listen to your favourite album with a face mask on, make sure you put yourself first every once in a while, you deserve it.
  5. Let people in- whilst you do need alone time, let your friends be there for you. Even if you just text them that you need a break, at least you're letting them in. They care about you.
  6. People suck (sometimes)- Chances are your best friend in high school won't be the maid of honour at your wedding. That's just how life is sometimes. You have to accept that these people aren't good for you. It's sad that people change but if they make you unhappy then let them go. Negativity is not your pal.
  7. You'll meet the BEST people- you might not even know they exist yet. It took me eighteen years to get the amazing friends I have now. It'll be random and probably due to some band, but they'll make you feel SO HAPPY TO BE ALIVE. That's what matters.
  8. You have something to live for- yeah I'm tearing up but I am so glad that fourteen year old me carried on living, because school and shitty friendships are hard, and they feel impossible to survive, but it is SO GOOD on the other side.
  9. It will get better- most of us have something that makes living difficult. Debates about our sexuality, issues surrounding mental health. But it will get better, you will meet people who understand and ACCEPT you. You will find yourself on some random Thursday, writing a blog post and thinking, it's not perfect but it is SO MUCH better than it ever was and than I ever imagined.
  10. Document things- I don't mean just uploading a beach view onto Instagram. I'm talking scrapbooks, diaries, journals. Write how you felt, what song was playing, who you were with. When you're down, you'll have these amazing, physical things that will trigger the best memories.
  11. Do not go to WebMD when you feel a little under the weather- you'll immediately diagnose yourself with three days to live or an incurable virus. Drink juice, sleep and see a real life doctor.
  12. Try new things- take up a photography course, try a dish you've never had.
  13. Learn a language- it's fun, looks good on your CV and also it will show you how appreciative people are. Don't go to Italy and assume people are fluent in English just because you are. Make the effort to learn the basics.
  14. Travel- for concerts, holidays or whatever else you want. You'll meet wonderful people, make great memories and see the world in new ways. If I hadn't have travelled to concerts I wouldn't know the people I do now.
  15. Do what makes you happy- don't stay in a job that makes you cry, don't let someone you love treat you like shit. It's daunting to let go, but your happiness should outweigh this.
  16. Enjoy your education- there are people on this planet who have no access to it. You might not care how many wives Henry VIII had or why it rains, but education is important. It teaches you about things you'd never go out of your way to research, it teaches us how to approach the future and equips us with lifelong skills.
  17. Don't let people take away what you love- you love One Direction? embrace it. Who gives a fuck? it makes you happy right? Do not let someone take that away from you because of their judgement.
  18. It's okay to make mistakes- You might choose a university course only to realise you hate Machiavellian literature, you might fall in love with a fuckboy. It's okay to make these mistakes because they're learning curves.
  19. It's okay to cry- god I am the biggest emo on earth. It's okay to cry because you miss your dog or you want to be 4 years old again. It is not being weak, crying shows you're strong enough to feel emotions.
  20. Your parents can't control you- They are generally trying to protect you and that's fine, but if they're trying to force a particular lifestyle on you then you don't have to accept it. You want a tattoo or a piercing or love someone of the same gender? That's YOUR life and you have to live it the way you want to.
  21. Life is short- it goes way too fast (Ferris Bueller was right). You have to live it to the fullest. Set goals, meet them or make mistakes. There's no right or wrong way to do it (unless you're a serial killer or something). There's no textbook on how to be you. Embrace yourself, embrace change and embrace the world around you.
Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed this post,
let me know the things you've learned in life.
Aimee :) x

No comments

Let me know your thoughts on this post