Featured Post

First Impressions: Pink Parcel

My Sound of 2015

Hello everyone,
it seems that 2015 is almost behind us. I think one thing you've probably learnt if you've been a devout follower of my blog this year is that I love music. Yeah I know, 99% of my posts are about some band from Sydney, but today I'm going to be highlighting the realm of my musical interests, and in no particular order, telling you why they're the best. Let's go!

Top 4 Albums

Badlands - Halsey
I celebrated the debut record from Halsey in a post earlier this year, and I've had it on repeat since its release. Everything about it is addictive; Halsey's sultry vocals, the menacing lyrics depicting her dystopian metropolis along with haunting sounds. There's no song on the album that I'm indifferent towards or choose to skip, which is rare for me. Since Badlands hit the world I've seen Halsey grow from a musician with a hardcore group of fans, to a star in music magazines, being played on Radio One and selling out Madison Square Garden. I'm unbelievably excited to see what 2016 holds for Halsey, as she returns to the UK for more sold out shows and hopefully releases another catchy album.

American Candy- The Maine
My favourite band released one of my favourite albums of all time this year and I fell more in love with them than ever. Of course The Maine were not going to disappoint and American Candy proved to be a firework of sound. They are a band that have always strived to deliver music that they have control over and so much of American Candy felt like a fuck you to that idea of bubblegum bullshit, and I felt like a proud mama when listening to the record for the first time and hearing that they were perfectly growing into their own. For me they are as renowned for their witty lyrics as they are their level of emo and American Candy perfected this, with lyrics from ' just shut up and drink your diet soda' to 'always remember how lucky you are to have yourself.' It was a top highlight of my music for the year.

Blurryface- twenty one pilots
You've probably seen lyric collages from this record plastered over social media and I think that displays the captivating nature of this record. You can't escape it. Your neighbours, friends, siblings and probably even parents know at least one song from this album. At first I wasn't keen on it. But one day I decided to power through the album and there were so many lyrics I couldn't shake off my mind. I want someone to love me so much they write Tear in My Heart about me, and I want to scream the lyrics for Stressed Out from my university rooftop. I want to break glasses in time with We Don't Believe What's on TV and I'm always proud of myself when I nail every line to Lane Boy. There is something so empowering about Blurryface that makes it an album to be remembered for generations. Everything is so manic and intriguing when it comes to Twenty One Pilots and I just can't get enough.

Sounds Good Feels Good- 5 Seconds of Summer
It was inevitable this sophomore album would make the cut for my post. It had everything I wanted, guitar solos, in your face sounds and moments of emo. We got a taste of this record during their Rock Out With Your Socks Out tour, when Permanent Vacation was added to the setlist. So much of the record reminds me of life in 2007, when I was being emo over MCR and FOB. I also love the way that the closing track Outer Space/Carry on carries with it moments of the album, such as references to castaway and getting out of the gutter. It has uplifting moments but also quite dark parts, especially in Invisible and Broken Home, but I believe those songs were ways of grasping the issues a large portion of their fans are facing. I'm incredibly excited to hear the album live for the first time next year.

Top 10 singles

Victorious- Panic At the Disco
This song is made of magic. It is slick and slithers with lyrics that are too catchy to forget. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Brendan Urie, who let's face it is the only member of PATD now, and he is such a creative mastermind. My pal Georgia informed me of how great it is to strut to this song and I'd highly recommend you download it and do so.

Cake By the Ocean- DNCE
If there's anything I love, it's the sound of Joe Jonas telling me something is 'fucking delicious' and it's sounds like this I would never have gotten from a JoBros record. Some of the people I know despise this song, some think it is a big fat joke but I honestly love it. It is also another great song to walk to and I love that it was inspired by someone mistaking sex on the beach for cake by the ocean.

Uma Thurman- Fall Out Boy
American Beauty/American Psycho is another fantastic album that this year offered us and quite frankly any song from it would have made this list. However, Uma Thurman is so punchy and in your face that it made the cut. The music video is also one of my favourite videos of the year and I cannot get enough of this tune!

Gasoline- Halsey
We all know I fucking love Halsey. I couldn't write every song from Badlands on this list so I had to pick one of my top songs. Gasoline is everything I love about Halsey, dark and gritty and also refers to her other lyrics such as 'do you call yourself a fucking hurricane like me?' Hearing this song live was such a massive highlight of my year and I won't ever stop playing it.

Tear in My Heart- Twenty One Pilots
I have an endless love for this song. Everything about is amazes me, the lyrics, the sound, the video. I JUST LOVE IT! I WANT SOMEONE TO LOVE ME LIKE THIS. I have nothing to say other than NEVER LET THIS SONG DIE!

Another Night on Mars- The Maine
This song is a highlight as to why The Maine are my favourite band. They are so uplifting and make me so happy to be alive. This song is something I wish I could've written because I feel the lyrics in every part of me, and of course any song where John Ohhh does a talking part wins for me! This one truly does 'go out to my closest friends the one's who make me feel less alien!'

Drag Me Down- One Direction
It's been an interesting year for 1D, they've completed their last tour, lost a member and announced a hiatus. But this song is just so feel good, I listen to it and feel so empowered like fuck yeah nothing is gonna hold me back, I'm on fire, fight me!

Vapor- 5 Seconds of Summer
I have too many favourite songs from the album this came from but this one I feel is so departed from 5SOS' previous sounds. I absolutely adore the lyrics, especially 'I wanna feel you in my veins' which is one of my favourite lyrics of all time. It is so visually written and I will personally write a letter of complaint if they don't play this song on tour.

Shut Up and Dance- Walk the Moon
Whenever I hear this song a thousand amazing memories come flooding back into my mind. Emmy used it for her tour vlog and since then it just makes me think of all the best times I've had this past year. I want it played on any playlist I will ever listen to.

Tidal Waves- All Time Low
What would this list be without a itty bitty little bit of emo? Future Hearts was such a great record of 2015 as well and this song stands out to me, because after all I am 98% emo. I think about how Blink 182 inspired ATL to do what they do, and having loved them for so long it made me so emo to hear a song with Mark Hoppus.

Top 5 Concerts

The 1975- De Montfort Hall
Nobody ever really comes to my hometown. When The 1975 announced a show here I pounced online and made sure I would be present. I have waited for so long to see them live and they truly did not disappoint. Their backgrounds/lighting were so beautiful compared to anything I've ever seen and it was so strange to see them perform. I always thought the persona of Matty on stage drinking and smoking was enigma but it happened before my eyes and I can't unsee it.

Halsey- O2 Academy Islington
Let's not talk about the time we spent camping for this show because I will cry. It was such an intense gig. Everyone was so pressed to one another and completely mesmerised that this modern goddess was really on stage. Halsey is an incredible performer and I swear to God when she does the thing in Young God I honestly needed holy water in my eyes. I cannot wait to see her again next year.

All Time Low- Kingston
I've waited what seems my entire life to see this band live and this year I had the pleasure to see them twice and also meet them. All my emo dreams were fulfilled. This gig was fucking tiny and they'd played Wembley the day before so it was such an insane contrast. Cassadee Pope performed Remembering Sunday with them and my emo life flashed before my eyes. I wish I could go back to this day because it was so special.

5SOS- Birmingham
Given that I did a lot of this tour it seems odd that I could narrow it down but this gig was the bees knees. Night two in Birmingham was such a party; we snuck Emma into standing, spilled three beers next to Feldy and Luke's dad, had a little dance party. It was one of my top moments of the whole year. It was so cute to see how many people this band has connected me to and to celebrate in our happy place. Also Ashton did pizza for the first time in the UK and I honestly fell to my knees. It was wild.

Hey Violet- O2 Islington
I love this band, block me, unstan me or fight me. They have talent and they are such great live performers. They are also incredibly sweet to their fans which is a bonus. This show was so short and tiny but perhaps worth the six hours of traffic we got stuck in en route!

thank you so much for taking the time to read this post, I really would like to know what your sounds of the year were so please feel free to leave comments,
thank you,
Aimee :) x

No comments

Let me know your thoughts on this post